Wednesday 29 October 2008

Where do we begin?

The first question that came in mind is "Where do I begin?". My tasks were:

1. Set up a build automation system.
2. Run builds when changes were made to the project.
3. Send notification to developers about build status.
4. Run tests.

What to choose?
My priority was to use opensource build automation system. But I evaluated comercial ones too. Why opensource, when I can use any comercial program? Well, the freedom to make changes and contribute to the community give satisfaction at the end of the day, firstly I have ability to fine tune the code to my specification and secondly I can share my views with other users and make it better. I came across CruiseControl.net by thoughtworks. ".net" because it supports net.framework.
The software I was to test is written in Microsoft's C++.
"...talking about C++, I have had many problems with it. It's like a monster, but does the job prefectly..."


What do I need?
1. Cruisecontrol.net - The mother
2. NAnt - for creating the build file

No comments: